Occupational and Environmental Health and Safety Management Systems
C&IH offers occupational and environmental health and safety (OEHS) management system services that range from turn-key development and implementation to as-needed guidance on specific OEHS management system objectives. Our staff collaborate with every level of your organizations’ management to develop a project approach aimed at controlling immediate and long-term health and safety hazards and their associated risk within stated corporate objectives and budgets.
Overview of OEHS Management System Services
- Provide turn-key development and implementation of OEHS management systems
- Perform gap analysis to evaluate existing corporate practices and procedures against self-defined, consensus, or industry standards
- Conduct hazard evaluations and risk assessments, and develop customized industrial hygiene programs
- Design and implement OEHS management systems in accordance with standards that meet client objectives, including:
- Client-specific internal corporate management standards
- ISO/PAS 45005:2020 General guidelines for safe working during the COVID-19 pandemic
- ISO 14001 standard (environmental management)
- ISO 45001 standard on health and safety management
- ANSI Z10 United States management consensus standard
- NMA COREsafety standard (mining industry)
- BSEE SEMS standard (offshore operations)
- Other industry-specific standards
- Develop requirement-specific management system prototypes and analytical models to evaluate return on investment including tangible dollars saved and intangible benefits gained (e.g., improved corporate culture, corporate transparency, product loyalty, hazard and risk prioritization, etc.)
- Integrate newly developed or revised occupational and environmental health and safety programs and management systems into corporate operations
- Train all levels of management on integrating the “psychology of safety” principles into corporate culture; train personnel at regular intervals on the practical application and use of the management system.
- Perform third-party prequalification of contractors and suppliers for compliance with health and safety requirements and management system standard specifications
Controlling Health and Safety Risk through an OEHS Management System
Executives and managers face a significant challenge in monitoring daily activities at all sites and for all employees. A formalized occupational and environmental health and safety management system is an effective tool to improve management control, reduce the incidence rate of injuries and illnesses, and facilitate the implementation of corporate expectations concerning the management of workplace hazards and their associated risks.
An OEHS management system establishes systematic control of health and safety hazards throughout an organization; it is an integral component of corporate culture and promotes employee involvement at every level of operation, providing outreach to all facilities and personnel.
Advancing an organization’s long-term risk management strategy is a central objective in the development of an OEHS management plan. Once fully implemented, a management system should address all of an organization’s unique process and hazards, as well as any future changes to those processes. Incorporating an adaptive structure into an OEHS management plan helps ensure that new corporate directives and company procedures will be systematically identified and responded to, regardless of whether they are driven by internal or external factors.
How an OEHS Management System Promotes Long-term Corporate Sustainability
Managing OEHS risk to protect employees and preserve long-term corporate sustainability is the underlying function of any occupational and environmental health and safety management system. Properly developed and implemented, a management system can achieve corporate goals of reduced OEHS risk, continual health and safety improvement, and regulatory compliance in the following ways:
- Ensure new and evolving risks are identified and controlled through established workplace hazard and risk assessments, and audit procedures
- Reduce occurrence and severity of accidents and their associated costs including insurance premiums, lost productivity, and regulatory fines
- Implement relevant, applicable, and simplified programs that translate general health and safety principles into specific programs and procedures
- Formalize employee participation in corporate health and safety policy and system implementation
- Improve the organizational structure of industrial hygiene personnel for maximum efficiency and cost effectiveness
- Promote a healthy workforce and enhance employee morale
- Create public awareness of an organization’s commitment to the wellbeing of their employees, the community, and the environment
- Establish policies that direct corporate leadership through the continual improvement cycle of the OEHS program
Integrating Health and Safety into Corporate Culture
Successful implementation of any OEHS management plan depends on recognizing and addressing the inherent psychosocial dynamics that are accompanied by change in an established organization. C&IH understands the crucial role of this dynamic. Our project approach is based on establishing executive level support and collaborating with all levels of management to develop and enhance a culture of health and safety awareness among all employees.
Turn-key Development and Implementation of Occupational and Environmental Health and Safety Management Systems
C&IH’s collaborative approach is designed to ensure the unique needs of each client are fulfilled. For organizations seeking a partner that can provide turn-key OEHS consulting, our project team will coordinate all activities through each phase of system analysis, design, implementation, maintenance, and auditing:
- Perform a gap analysis of existing programs and provide recommendations based on identified risks
- Present gap analysis findings and recommendations to executive management and establish corporate-level support for system implementation
- Collaborate with senior management to develop a corporate OEHS policy statement and documentation for implementation
- Draft comprehensive program documentation, including internal standards and procedures, in a well-organized and easy to understand format
- Provide training to management and workforce personnel on OEHS policies and principles including hazard identification, internal audit procedures, process-specific safety training, etc.
- Establish policy to incorporate employee involvement in the OEHS risk management process
- Facilitate integration of the new risk management process with existing corporate management systems
- Establish regular internal and external audits as part of the OEHS management plan
- Coordinate the certification process with national/international auditing bodies
- Provide ongoing post-certification support in the maintenance and continual improvement of the management system
C&IH provides independent audits of contractors and suppliers to ensure their operations are in compliance with your organizations’ OEHS management system requirements as well as with appropriate national or foreign national regulations, industry standards, and health and safety best practices. Our pre-qualification process includes a comprehensive review of programs and procedures, personnel training and certifications, and other relevant criteria to help your organization evaluate a potential vendors’ health and safety practices.